YORKSHIRE FIRMS TEAM UP IN GAS SAFETY DRIVE

jon oldroyd news

Jon Oldroyd of Ignite Gas Yorkshire

TWO of the leading names in Yorkshire's residential letting market are teaming up as part of Gas Safety Week to highlight the "life or death" dangers of badly-fitted appliances.

Specialist letting agents Linley & Simpson, who have nine Yorkshire branches, and Leeds-based Ignite Gas Care have drawn up a checklist to help tenants stay safe - and protect landlords from prosecution.

Gas Safety Week runs from Monday September 10 to September 17 and aims to raise awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of gas appliances.

"As a licensed agent, and a member of the SAFEagent scheme, gas safety is a top priority for us and we have a robust scheme in place to ensure our properties are regularly inspected and meet all the relevant criteria," said Linley & Simpson director, Will Linley.

"This is not always the case, particularly with unlicensed agents and individual landlords. Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.

"Every year scores of people across Yorkshire are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning."

Managing Director of Horsforth-based Ignite Gas Care, Jon Oldroyd, said: "The proper maintenance of gas appliances can really be a matter of life and death.

"Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas - you can't see it, taste it or smell it, but it can kill quickly with no warning.

"By taking care of your gas appliances properly you are taking care of your home and your loved ones."

He added: "It is vital that consumers only use Gas Safe registered engineers in any maintenance or servicing work. We are proud to support Gas Safety Week."

The companies have developed this checklist to help people stay safe:

  • Make sure only a Gas Safe registered engineer works on your gas appliances. Illegal gas fitters can put your life at risk
  • Always check the engineer's Gas Safe Register ID card
  • Make sure gas appliances have a regular service and a gas safety check every 12 months
  • Look out for warning signs that your gas appliances aren't working correctly e.g. lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room
  • Know the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning - headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness
  • Install an audible carbon monoxide alarm
  • If you smell gas call the gas emergency number on 0800 111 999

How much is my property worth? Arrange a

Book Your Free Marketing Appraisal NOW

No matter what stage of the process you are at, an accurate sales or rental valuation is essential – request yours today!

Book Now

Award Winning Estate Agents & Letting Agents

How much is my property worth? Arrange a

The Property Ombudsman
Association of Residential Letting Agents
Association of Residential Letting Agents
On the Market January 2015
Safe Agent Logo
Martin House Logo