1 October 2014
Specialist letting agents Linley & Simpson, who have ten Yorkshire branches, and Leeds-based Ignite Gas Care have drawn up a checklist to help tenants stay safe - and protect landlords from prosecution.
Gas Safety Week aims to raise awarene
"This is not always the case, particularly with unlicensed agents and individual landlords. Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.
"Every year scores of people across Yorkshire are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning."
Managing Director of Horsforth-based Ignite Gas Care, Jon Oldroyd, said: "The proper maintenance of gas appliances can really be a matter of life and death.
"Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas - you can't see it, taste it or smell it, but it can kill quickly with no warning.
"By taking care of your gas appliances properly you are taking care of your home and your loved ones."
He added: "It is vital that consumers only use Gas Safe registered engineers in any maintenance or servicing work. We are proud to support Gas Safety Week."
The companies have developed this checklist to help people stay safe:
- Make sure only a Gas Safe registered engineer works on your gas appliances. Illegal gas fitters can put your life at risk
- Always check the engineer's Gas Safe Register ID card
- Make sure gas appliances have a regular service and a gas safety check every 12 months
- Look out for warning signs that your gas appliances aren't working correctly e.g. lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room
- Know the signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning - headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness
- Install an audible carbon monoxide alarm
- If you smell gas call the gas emergency number on 0800 111 999